Title: Cook 1
Department: Food and Beverage
Reporting: Senior Cook/Sous Chef/Executive Chef
Location: Cherokee, NC
Salary: Hourly $10.00 to $13.00
The Cook 1 is responsible for preparing and/or direction the preparation of food to be served, complying with all applicable sanitation, health and personal hygiene standards and following established food production programs and procedures. The cook is responsible for appropriate use of facility supplies and equipment to minimize loss, waste and fraud. Ensure consistent food quality and prepare food items in accordance with recipes and guidelines established by the Executive Chef. Maintain a clean, sanitary, and safe work area in a fast paced environment. They are also expected to provide excellent service for guests with a friendly smile while always following our guest service standards of 10 for 10, 80/20 and C.P.R.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS BUT NOT LIMITED TO:
– Prepares or directs preparation of food served using established production procedures and systems
– Determines amount and type of food and supplies required using production systems
– Ensures availability of supplies and food or approved substitutions in adequate time for preparation
– Sets steam table; serves or ensures proper serving of food for tray line or dining room
– Complies with established sanitation standards, personal hygiene and health standards
– Observes proper food preparation and handling techniques
– Stores food properly and safely, marking the date and item
– Reports necessary equipment repair and maintenance to supervisor
– Correctly prepares all food served following standard recipes
– Plans food production coordinate with meal serving hours so that excellence, quality, temperature and appearance of food are preserved
– Portions food for serving
– Maintains daily production records
– Keeps work area neat and clean at all times, cleans and maintains equipment used in food preparation
– Completes food temperature checks before service
– Prepares or directs preparation
– Prepare hot and cold food items including dressings, sauces, soups, entrees, etc as directed
– Measure and mix ingredients required for preparation of specific food items
– Maintain communication with other associates to assemble food items that be utilized for menu orders
– Adhere to recipes to ensure consistent food quality and presentation
– Operate large-volume cooking and preparation equipment such as mixers, grills, fryers, or ovens according to manufacturer’s instructions
– Ensure proper storage of product with labels and dates by rotating using first-in, first-out method
– Uphold cleanliness of entire kitchen including food prep area, cooking equipment, counters, shelves, utensils, and storage areas
– Perform required sanitation procedures to prepare and store food as established by the Food & Beverage Department
– Follow all procedures to ensure a safe, secure, and healthy work environment by following local, state, and federal sanitations regulations
– Perform all additional tasks and responsibilities as assigned
– Attends all scheduled employee meetings and brings suggestions for improvement
– Notify manager-on-duty any time a guest is not 100% satisfied with their experience
– Affluent knowledge of all events and amenities of the UltraStar Multi-tainment Center
– Proficiency in kitchen, operations and, execution
– Completion of basic food handling training and local or state mandated certification
– Working knowledge of theatre policies, prices, menu, and bar selections
– Excellent multi-tasking skills
– Ability to follow instructions on safe use of all chemical/cleaning materials
– Ability to work effectively with supervisors and co-workers and with minimal supervision
– Ability to meet deadlines
– Ability to communicate and work effectively with supervisors and co-workers in a high-volume setting
– Working knowledge of US measurements, weight and volume
– Works well under pressure
– Can effectively solve problems
– Able to take direction
– Excellent attendance is required with schedule flexibility determined by business needs
– Must speak fluent English
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
– Strong written and verbal communications skills along with basic computer skills and knowledge are required for the position.
– 1 year experience in full service dining, country club, hotel, and banquets
– Basic math skills
– Awareness of local, state and federal health and sanitation laws
– Understanding of proper use and maintenance of major kitchen equipment, including stoves, refrigeration, slicer, knives and dish machine
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by a Team Member to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this position, the Team Member will regularly be required to:
– Work days, nights, holidays, weekends are required.
– Work in an area where there is varying noise, lighting, in a fast paced environment with changes in air quality including second hand smoke.
– Read and write handwritten notes.
– Lift and carry up to 50 pounds up to 100 feet.
– Move about facility and stand for long periods of time.
– Walk or stand 100% of shift.
– Reach, bend and stoop frequently.
– Ascend and descend stairs and sloped surfaces
– Travel may be required for occasional deliveries, visits to other locations, company meetings or catering events
– Interior Work Areas- moderate to hot temperatures in the kitchen areas. Flooring is tile in the kitchen and carpeted or tile in the restaurant. Rubber mats cover the floor behind the bar. Possibly encountering wet or slippery floor surfaces.
– Exterior Work Areas- may have extreme temperatures depending on weather conditions